Important Notice - Change of Venue & Meeting
Friday, August 30, 2013 @ 08:49 PM WST
Contributed by: John
Welsh Society of Western Australia - Special Newsletter. August 2013
OUR MEETINGS WILL TAKE PLACE AT
THE PERTH AND TATTERSALLS BOWLING CLUB, Plain Street, Perth.
ON THE THIRD MONDAY OF EACH MONTH AT 7.30pm
Welsh Society Competitions:
Entrants should use a Pen Name on their work for judging purposes. The winners will be announced, and the shields presented, at the St. David's Day Dinner l." March 2014.
Who suffered severely from piles
He couldn't sit down
At the General Meeting of the Welsh Society of WA held at the Perth and Tattersall's Bowling Club (PTBC) on Monday 12th August 2013, to consider the future of the WSWA, the following proposals were agreed to:
1. The Society will meet at the PTBC on the second Monday of the Month at 7.30 pm.
2. The Society will continue to meet until St. David's Day, lst March 2014, at which time the future of the Society will reviewed. It was later thought that it would be more appropriate to hold the review at the Annual General Meeting in April 2014.
3. In view of the concern over the financial status of the Society it was agreed that the Annual Membership be increased from $20 to $25 per person. The monthly membership draw will be discontinued. Raffles be limited to $30 per meeting, being 3 gift vouchers of $10 each. These gift vouchers to be phased in as raffle prizes already held by the President are used up.
4. It was agreed that the entry fee to the monthly meeting continue at $5 per person to encourage members to attend the meetings.
5. General discussion about attracting new members raised the following points:
6. We should aim at attracting people over the age of 50/55, as our activities are not geared to younger people
7. The Society should aim at having 4 guest speakers per year. Derek Mayall and Enid Jenkinson will attempt to obtain a list of speakers from contact they have. Mel Davies agreed to speak to the Society meeting on 14th October 2013.
8. More advertising should be done through various means including Community Newspapers, putting notices & pamphlets in libraries and notice boards in shopping centres. Getting business cards printed containing the Society details and contact numbers, for members to give out.
9. The pamphlet advertising the activities of the Welsh Society and the Welsh Church will be distributed at the Gymanfa Ganu at Trinity Church, St Georges Tce, Perth on Sunday 25th August at 2.30 pm. Around 250 people are expected to attend.
10. It was agreed that the St. David's Day celebration does not necessarily need to be held on 1st March.
11. Due to high summer temperatures at that time of year it was considered better to have a meal in the evening rather than at lunchtime.
12. The committee will investigate the possibility of holding the dinner at the Perth and Tattersall's Bowling Club on Friday 28th February, using outside caterers. Attendees will be able to purchase drinks at the bar at reasonable prices, but for financial reasons the Society will not provide free drinks. Detailed costing has not been done but the cost of the meal is expected to be in the vicinity of$35 / $40
We, the Committee, wish to thank the members who attended and are appreciative of their input at the meeting. We are aware that some members were unable to attend due to health issues and holidays. We also recognise and thank you for your positiveness which hopefully will enable the Society to continue into the future. We hope the revue at the AGM in April 2014 will continue in a positive way, and to this end please give consideration to joining the Committee next year.